Surveillance capitalism is the same as climate change, but for data:
- Some people have been warning about its consequences for years
- Most people don't care because they don't feel concerned, they can't see it affecting them
- A few companies are making a lot of damage with the help of governments
- When we will face the consequences it will be too late
- We can still do something about it, and the sooner the better
The PeerTube content bootstrap fund:
the OMG TEH AI SINGULARITY IS COMING ideology is a product of the explosion of webshit programmers. once you spent a couple days mucking around in C trying to make a triangle draw on a screen you realize how complicated this shit really is and why we are millennia away from self reprogramming computers
My uncle (111 M) gifted me (33 M) a ring before leaving to go travelling. A close family friend (2019 M) told me to destroy the ring due to problematic associations with the jeweller who made it, but the ring is precious to me and I would feel guilty throwing it away. AITA?
Big picture, in the next decade, I would like to see:
1. Federated free software services become the dominant platform for social media and messaging.
2. A more privacy-oriented and cryptographically-literate public, and simple, standard free software tools anyone can leverage for this purpose.
3. Open hardware, especially RISC-V, becoming the dominant approach for new hardware development.
4. Recapturing the mobile market from proprietary walled gardens, instead favoring models which put the user in control of their devices (e.g. pmOS).
5. Average (read: non-SV CEO) technologists becoming more politically engaged, including running for and winning offices, and using political will to reinforce the above and start making a difference outside of tech
In 2020 and beyond, the battle to save personhood and democracy requires a radical overhaul of mainstream technology
Google AMP can go to hell
@aral on freedom and the Internet, Facebook & Google, their business model & the silion valley surveillance capitalism model.
Listen to him, now with French, English & German subtitles
Today Sourcehut celebrates the 1 year anniversary of it's public alpha beginning 🎉 🎉 🎉
Genie: You have ONE WISH.
Me: Alright, I have one, but it's very detailed.
Genie: As long as it is only one wish, you're allowed to spend as much time as you want detailing it.
Me: Alright, here we go. *Grabs notebook and takes a deep breath* The key words MUST, MUST NOT, REQUIRED, SHALL, SHALL NOT, SHOULD, SHOULD NOT, RECOMMENDED, MAY, and OPTIONAL are to be interpreted as described in [RFC2119].
Genie: Wait, is that...?
Me: *Flips notebook* Chapter 1. Preamble.
socialist tech pirate
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!