My uncle (111 M) gifted me (33 M) a ring before leaving to go travelling. A close family friend (2019 M) told me to destroy the ring due to problematic associations with the jeweller who made it, but the ring is precious to me and I would feel guilty throwing it away. AITA?
Big picture, in the next decade, I would like to see:
1. Federated free software services become the dominant platform for social media and messaging.
2. A more privacy-oriented and cryptographically-literate public, and simple, standard free software tools anyone can leverage for this purpose.
3. Open hardware, especially RISC-V, becoming the dominant approach for new hardware development.
4. Recapturing the mobile market from proprietary walled gardens, instead favoring models which put the user in control of their devices (e.g. pmOS).
5. Average (read: non-SV CEO) technologists becoming more politically engaged, including running for and winning offices, and using political will to reinforce the above and start making a difference outside of tech
In 2020 and beyond, the battle to save personhood and democracy requires a radical overhaul of mainstream technology
Google AMP can go to hell
@aral on freedom and the Internet, Facebook & Google, their business model & the silion valley surveillance capitalism model.
Listen to him, now with French, English & German subtitles
Today Sourcehut celebrates the 1 year anniversary of it's public alpha beginning 🎉 🎉 🎉
Genie: You have ONE WISH.
Me: Alright, I have one, but it's very detailed.
Genie: As long as it is only one wish, you're allowed to spend as much time as you want detailing it.
Me: Alright, here we go. *Grabs notebook and takes a deep breath* The key words MUST, MUST NOT, REQUIRED, SHALL, SHALL NOT, SHOULD, SHOULD NOT, RECOMMENDED, MAY, and OPTIONAL are to be interpreted as described in [RFC2119].
Genie: Wait, is that...?
Me: *Flips notebook* Chapter 1. Preamble.
What you can do:
* as a website admin/newspaper publisher: Do not use AMP!
* as a user: Use another browser (uhm @firefox) and use an "no AMP" add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/amp2html/
I tend to think that a billionaire is automatically not a good person. A good person would say "hmm. I'm making money really fast, and I don't need more than, let's say $10 million... what can I do to benefit the planet that's given me this bounty?". And then they'd change their business model to do that thing. I cannot see a billionaire as admirable or good.
I found this overview of free software developers income quite informative: https://staltz.com/software-below-the-poverty-line.html
How to get a near real-time picture of Earth as your desktop wallpaper – https://hund0b1.gitlab.io/2019/06/03/how-to-get-a-near-realtime-picture-of-earth-as-your-desktop-wallpaper.html #Linux #Earth #Wallpaper
Start a blog and write your first article, get $20. Write another 3 articles within six months and get another $20.
socialist tech pirate
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!